The Bergen County SPCA is comprised of two distinct classifications of members.
Membership in the “Society” involves participating in community outreach events, making public appearances, assisting with humane education activities, and various fundraising events. Membership in the “Law Enforcement Division” involves all of the above Society functions as well as working throughout Bergen County (NJ) to enforce all of Title IV animal cruelty laws contained in the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE “SOCIETY”
Applications for membership to the “Society” are accepted at any time. If you are interested, complete the Application for Membership to the Society (coming soon) and return it to the Bergen County SPCA at the address noted below. You will be contacted by a member of the Badge & Membership committee to schedule an interview.
MEMBERSHIP IN THE “LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION”
Applications for membership to the “Law Enforcement Division” are accepted at any time. However, we are not always actively recruiting new law enforcement members. You are still welcome to submit an application and it will be kept on file until our next selection process begins (usually biannually). If you are interested, complete the Application for Membership to the Law Enforcement Division and return it to the Bergen County SPCA. Please be sure to complete the application carefully and completely as the selection process is rigorous. The next time interviews are held for Law Enforcement positions, a member of the Badge & Membership committee will contact you to schedule an initial interview. Working with our agency will be a very demanding task – please be sure the you can commit to the agency and that you meet the eligibility requirements before you apply.
In order to be considered for membership in the Bergen County S.P.C.A. Law Enforcement Division, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a resident of New Jersey and a United States Citizen
- Must live or work in Bergen County, NJ
- Must possess a valid NJ driver’s license
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must not have a criminal history and must be of good moral character
- Must posses a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have the ability to perform all tasks and duties of a Humane Law Enforcement Officer (HLEO) or Humane Law Enforcement Agent (HLEA)
- Must be able to attend 80 hour Basic Course for Humane Law Enforcement Officers – Phase 1
- Must be able to attend 80 hour Basic Course for Humane Law Enforcement Officers – Phase 2, which includes:
- 40 hour Division of Criminal Justice Use of Force training (HLEO’s ONLY)
- 40 hour Division of Criminal Justice Firearms Qualification training (HLEO’s ONLY)
Officers and Agents of the Bergen County SPCA are unpaid professionals. You can expect to receive extensive training in investigative techniques, interview and interrogation, report writing, self-defense, firearms, and the recognition of animal cruelty. Although no law enforcement experience is required, it is highly desirable. Knowledge regarding the care and well-being of animals is also desired. Those applicants seeking future full-time careers in law enforcement should understand that the knowledge, training, and experience gained from volunteering with our organization will be valuable in the future; however, Humane Law Enforcement training, although PTC certified, is not applicable towards a Police Officer certification.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOT BEING ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME
Please return all completed applications to:
Bergen County S.P.C.A.
Attn: Badge & Membership
PO Box 4111
South Hackensack, NJ 07606
Thank you in advance for your interest in joining the Bergen County SPCA.