The members of the Bergen County Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) would like to thank you for your support throughout our more than 85 years of service to the Bergen County community.
Chartered in 1927, the Bergen County SPCA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, all volunteer, humane law enforcement agency authorized to investigate and prosecute alleged acts of animal cruelty, abuse, and neglect in Bergen County, New Jersey.
Throughout the organizations history, the Bergen County SPCA has always embodied the motto of “helping those who cannot help themselves” through the use of successful enforcement and corrective actions. The Bergen County SPCA is also tasked with educating the public on the humane handling of pets and companion animals as well as the various animal cruelty Statutes contained in Title 4 of the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice.
Animal neglect or abuse can take many forms including, but not limited to:
- An animal being physically struck or beaten
- An animal being physically maimed, cut or tortured
- An animal being used as “bait” (usually related to dog fighting)
- An animal being neglected and/or left in dangerous conditions (such as being left in a car on an extremely hot or extremely cold day)
- Abandonment of an animal
- Lack of accessibility to food and/or water
- Lack of proper shelter from rain, snow, extreme cold or extreme heat
In addition to our enforcement and educational activities, the Bergen County SPCA also participates in various community outreach events including street fairs and town day events around the County, public events hosted at the Meadowlands sports complex, local adoption programs, and visits to dog parks and area pet stores.
In order to carry out this mission, the Bergen County SPCA continues to rely upon generous private donations, and other periodic fundraising activities. The BCSPCA receives NO funding from state, county, or local government.
There is no affiliation with the ASPCA in New York. We are also not affiliated with the New Jersey State SPCA.
We are a completely separate entity under the supervision and direction of the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.
Although not part of our primary mission, when possible, the BCSPCA does assist with:
- Referring pet owners to quality and low-cost spay/neuter assistance and vet care.
- List and match lost and found pets via social media.
- Provide help and information on wildlife rescue and services.
- Work in cooperation with other local, county, state, and national humane organizations.
- Help animals in times of disaster.
- Operate or provide a pet adoption service.
- Run a government subsidized organization.
- Run a veterinarian’s office.
- Run an operation with salaried employees.